Saturday, January 10, 2015
This hearty preparation is a perfect match for the spice of Shiraz as it has its own spice character. The hearty red sauce uses almonds to enrich its flavor, a perfect match for the light oak character of the wine.
- 1 pound of cleaned mussels
- 1 can peeled and diced tomatoes
- 2 tbs chopped almonds
- 1 tsp thyme chopped
- 1 tbs garlic chopped
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 link of chorizo sausage
- ½ bottle dry white wine like Canyon Road Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc (red wine can be used as well.)
- Sauté garlic lightly in olive oil but do not brown.
- Add chorizo and sauté until brown.
- Add all other ingredients and cook for a few minutes.
- Add white wine and mussels and cover to steam until mussels are open.
- Drink rest of white wine while cooking.
- Discard any unopened mussels.
- Serve with crusty bread for dipping in the broth.