Friday, January 9, 2015
A Cornish game hen is a small breed of chicken with mostly white meat. At no more than 2 pounds, each bird serves one or two people. Mild in flavor, they easily accept all kinds of herbs, spices and glazes. The light meat of this fowl is perfect for spring and summer, so we strongly recommend that you visit your local food market to pick out seasonal vegetables from your area's farms.
- 2 Cornish Game Hens (about 11/2 lbs each)
- 1/2 cup of apricot preserves
- 1/2 cup of orange juice
- 2 Tbs of fresh thyme
- 3Tbs of butter
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Combine apricot preserve and orange juice in a small sauce pan and bring to a slow simmer. Allow to cool.
- Place birds in a bowl and pour mixture over, cover and allow to marinate for about 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat over to 375 for about 15 minutes.
- Before roasting, remove hens from marinade and rub butter on the skin of hens, season with salt and pepper and thyme. Place on roasting pan along with new potatoes and baby carrots.
- Roast hens basting occasionally for 45 minutes to 1 hour. The skin should look golden brown when done.
- Transfer to a serving plate and serve with roasted new potatoes and baby carrots along with a mix green salad with your favorite vinaigrette.